How I use the Linux sed command to automate report edits

Here are a few suggestions and hints to automating report edits from the Linux command line.

features solutions command
When I use the Linux command line, whether or not I'm writing a brand new software on my computer pc or coping with a internet site on my internet server, I frequently want to technique textual content documents. Linux presents effective equipment that I leverage to get my paintings done. I regularly use sed, an editor which can adjust textual content in line with a pattern. sed stands for circulate editor, and it edits textual content in a report and prints the results. One manner to apply sed is to become aware of numerous occurrences of 1 string in a report and update them with a extraordinary string. You can use sed to technique textual content documents to a reputedly countless degree, however I'd want to percentage some methods I use sed to assist me control documents.

Search and update textual content in a report on Linux

To use sed, you need to use a regular expression. A regular expression is a set of special characters that define a pattern. My most frequent example of using sed is replacing text in a file. The syntax for replacing text looks like this: s/originaltext/newtext/. The s tells sed to perform text replacement or swap occurrences of text. Provide the original text and new text between slashes.

This syntax will only replace the first occurrence of originaltext on each line. To replace every occurrence, even if the original text appears more than once on a line, append g to the end of the expression. Here is an example: s/originaltext/newtext/g.

To use this with sed, specify this regular expression with the -e option:

$ sed -e 's/originaltext/newtext/g'

For example, let's say I have a Makefile for a program called game, which simulates Conway's Game of Life:

.PHONY: all run clean

all: game

game: game.o
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o game game.o $(LDFLAGS)

run: game
        ./game

clean:
        $(RM) *~
        $(RM) *.o
        $(RM) game

The name game isn't very descriptive, so I might choose to rename it life. Renaming the game.c source file to life.c is easy enough, but now I need to modify the Makefile to use the new name. I can use sed to change every occurrence of game to life:

sed -e 's/game/life/g' Makefile
.PHONY: all run clean

all: life

life: life.o
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o life life.o $(LDFLAGS)

run: life
        ./life

clean:
        $(RM) *~
        $(RM) *.o
        $(RM) life

This prints the sed output to the screen, which is a good way to check if the text replacement will do what you want. To make these changes to the Makefile, first, make a backup of the file, then run sed and save the output to the original filename:

cp Makefile Makefile.old
sed -e 's/game/life/g' Makefile.old > Makefile

If you are confident that your changes are exactly what you want, use the -i or --in-place option to edit the file in place. However, I recommend adding a backup filename suffix like --in-place=.old to save a copy of the original file in case you need to restore it later. It looks like this:

sed --in-place=.old -e 's/game/life/g' Makefile
ls Makefile*
Makefile  Makefile.old

Quoting documents with sed on Linux

You can use different capabilities of everyday expressions to in shape particular times of textual content. For instance, you would possibly want to update textual content that happens on the begin of a line. With sed, you may in shape the start of a line with ^, the caret character.

One way I use "start of line" in replacing text is when I need to quote a file in an email. Let's say I want to share my Makefile in an email, but I don't want to include it as a file attachment. Instead, I prefer to "quote" the file in the body of an email, using > before each line. I can use the following sed command to print out an edited version to my terminal, which I can copy and paste into a new email:

sed -e 's/^/>/' Makefile
>.PHONY: all run clean
>
>all: life
>
>life: life.o
>       $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o life life.o $(LDFLAGS)
>
>run: life
>       ./life
>
>clean:
>       $(RM) *~
>       $(RM) *.o
>       $(RM) life

The s/^/>/ regular expression matches the start of each line (^) and places a > there. Effectively, this starts each line with the > symbol.

The tabs might not show up correctly in an email, but I can replace all tabs in the Makefile with a few spaces by adding another regular expression:

sed -e 's/^/>/' -e 's/\t/  /g' Makefile
>.PHONY: all run clean
>
>all: life
>
>life: life.o
>  $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o life life.o $(LDFLAGS)
>
>run: life
>  ./life
>
>clean:
>  $(RM) *~
>  $(RM) *.o
>  $(RM) life

The \t indicates a literal tab, so s/\t/ /g tells sed to replace all tabs in the input with two spaces in the output.

If you need to apply lots of edits to files, you can save your -e commands in a file and use -f to tell sed to use that file as a "script." This approach is especially useful if you need to make the same edits frequently. I might have prepared the Makefile for quoting in email using a script file called quotemail.sed:

cat quotemail.sed
s/^/>/
s/\t/  /g
sed -f quotemail.sed Makefile
>.PHONY: all run clean
>
>all: life
>
>life: life.o
>  $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o life life.o $(LDFLAGS)
>
>run: life
>  ./life
>
>clean:
>  $(RM) *~
>  $(RM) *.o
>  $(RM) life

Learn to work with sed on Linux

sed is a great tool to keep in your Linux command-line toolkit. Explore the sed manual page and learn more about how to use it. Type man sed at the command line to get complete documentation about the different command line options and how to use sed to process text files.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url