How To Fix Visual Studio Code IntelliSense Loading Infinitely

Continuing with weird errors you might encounter in JavaScript world, I have another one: Visual Studio Code IntelliSense loading infinitely 😀 Solution included, of course!

VSCode_Loading_intellisense

The symptoms of this issue are putting your mouse on something where you’d expect the IntelliSense guidelines, but instead you only see the “Loading…” text.

In this short article, I’m sharing the reason of this issue and my way of fixing it.

How VS Code Infinite IntelliSense Loading Looks Like

This is what I struggled with: 

VSCodeLoadingIssue

As you can see, I didn’t get any IntelliSense while hovering my mouse on various elements in the editor.

A similar thing happened when I tried to use Go to References (or Shift + F12 on Windows) for any object:

VSCode_find_references_loading

As you can see, the loading bar at the top of VS Code was showing progress infinitely.

Let’s now see how to fix this annoying issue 😉

Fixing Visual Studio Code IntelliSense Loading Infinitely

After quite long investigation, I finally found the reason. It turned out that sometimes your Visual Studio Code might be using a different TypeScript version than your workspace uses. In my case, it was exactly the cause of the infinite loading problem 🧐

In order to fix it, use TypeScript: Select TypeScript Version... command. You can access commands with Ctrl + Shift + P on Windows or ⇧⌘P on Mac:

SelectTypeScriptVersion

Select this command and tell Visual Studio Code to use the workspace version of TypeScript:

SelectTypeScriptVersion_UseWorkspaceVersion

As you can see on the screenshot above, in my case the VS Code’s TypeScript version was 4.8.2, while the workspace version was 4.8.3. Changing it to use the newer, workspace version solved the problem. Visual Studio Code IntelliSense loading infinitely issue was gone 🎉

If it doesn’t work straightaway, you might need restarting your VS Code editor.

I hope that worked for you and saved you some hours of debugging and exploring StackOverflow 🙂

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url